Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Riley had an exciting day.

I picked Riley up from preschool today and he was so excited to tell me about his day. They went on a field trip to a local kids gym and from what Riley said, they had a fun time. Of course, how they got there was the highlight of the trip....by school bus! Yes, Riley is still obsessed with vehicles. It wasn't your typical yellow school bus though. It was a small little white bus, but Riley was still very excited he got to ride a bus. His mind was going a mile a minute and he was just talking the whole way home.....how Ms. Sandy(his teacher) was the bus driver, and that he got to sit with Jesse(his best friend at school) on the bus, and that the bus has wheels, and that it was so cool, and that they all yelled when they went over the railroad tracks. I knew he would be thrilled, but he was so excited. It was so cute. He continued to ramble on and started talking about "buses have wheels, and so do trucks, and my friend Mason has a truck with wheels, and I have a truck with wheels and Tanner has 2 four-wheelers with wheels so our 4 trucks all have wheels." Seriously, did he just do a math problem?! The way he just, without hesitation, said "our 4 trucks" really amazed me for some reason. How he counted them in his head that quickly is crazy to me. Then he starts naming all things that have wheels, "but not airplanes or helicopters." I told him that airplanes do have wheels and that they only come out when they take off and are going to land. Then he starts with, "the wheels come down to land, abajo and go up when it's flying, arriba. Abajo down, arriba up." Now the fact that he knows these spanish words didn't totally shock me because he loves to watch Dora, and these 2 specific words are used a lot in her shows. What did surprise me is that out of no where he used them, and correctly. I have never heard him use Spanish before this, except for an occasional word that he hears from Diego or Dora, but never really in regular conversation. I know that as part of his preschool curriculum they go to Spanish class twice a month or so. Maybe that is where he is learning to actually use the Spanish he knows. Just another reason why I love his preschool!

0 comments: